Environmental Advisor - Mining
Townsville City, QLD
Reporting to the Environment Superintendent, you will be tasked with the implementation and delivery of environmental management systems, programs and monitoring compliance during mine construction transitioning into mine operations.
As the Advisor, you will be required to give specialised and accurate environmental advice. You will create a culture of environmental awareness, accountability, vigilance and leadership across the team. The role will support mine construction and operational activities to minimise impacts on the environment in line with the relevant legislation and our environmental obligations.
Key responsibilities will include:-
- Ensuring that environmental compliance is maintained on site and for related off site activities.
- Management of contractors and consultants to ensure compliance with environmental conditions.
- Ensure that plans are put in place and implemented in a timely fashion to prevent any delays to project schedule or mining activity
- Contribute to and deliver in-house environmental training, development and assessment of personnel ensuring the appropriate amount of environmental awareness is maintained.
- Assist and manage environmental incident investigations as appropriate.
- Ensure that activities and expenses are approved and accounted for and maintained within allocated budgets. Management and completion of environmental monitoring and reporting requirements – Air, Noise, Ecological Surveys, Receiving Waters, Groundwater, Pest Species.
- Assist with preparing Government reporting such as annual returns, damage mitigation returns, reportable incidents, receiving environment management plan reports and all other environmental obligations.
- Co-ordinate, attend and prepare for internal and external audits or inspections.
- Maintain awareness of existing and changes to environmental legislation and company standards.
You must hold Tertiary qualifications in Environmental Science, Engineering, Natural Resources Management or equivalent, coupled with a minimum 5 years environmental experience within the mining industry.
Previous experience working with water management, erosion sediment control, mine site rehabilitation, land or natural resource management programs and GIS (Arcview) would be highly regarded.
Previous experience working with Fauna Spotter Catchers and Ecologists with qualifications as a Fauna Spotter Catcher would be highly regarded.
Extensive knowledge of environmental statutory requirements in relation to project planning and delivery is also essential. Experience in working with ISO14001 and in environmental management techniques, systems and tools including monitoring, inspections, auditing highly desirable.
To view and apply for this job on the web visit: