Male Support Worker
Life Without Barriers
South Townsville, QLD
Employment type: Casual, Part Time
Location: Townsville & Northern QLD
Categories: Aged Care
About the Organisation
Life Without Barriers is a leading social purpose, not for profit organisation of 7,000 employees working in more than 440 communities across Australia. We support children, young people and families, people with disability, older people and people with mental illness. We work with people who are homeless and refugees and asylum seekers.
We want to employ people who reflect the diversity of our clients to ensure we can support each client's individual needs and wants. We encourage people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background and people with disability to apply.
About the Role
This is a challenging but rewarding opportunity for you to actively support the individual needs of frail, aged and people with a disability who access Life Without Barriers Community Care Services. Support Workers work as a team to facilitate the delivery of quality services and achieve positive outcomes with clients in a positive and proactive environment. The services that we provide include Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP), Home Care Packages (HCP), and Queensland Community Support Services (QCSS).
We currently have a need for a male that identifies as Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander to support an elderly client with dementia. This position is based in Townsville and is being offered on a casual basis.
Please note: Our core business in the region is domestic assistance (cleaning). During shifts you will support our clients to do cleaning tasks that they may be unable to do themselves including sweeping, mopping, making the bed and cleaning the bathroom.
This is an Identified Position and therefore, we are only accepting applications from candidates that identify as Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander.
Life Without Barriers considers that being male and of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent is a genuine occupational requirement as outlined in a State or territory legislation and permitted as a ‘special measure’ under section 8 of the Racial Discrimination Act 1975 (Cth) and by articles 1(4) and 2(2) of the International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination.
- Housekeeping duties in line with LWB Policies and Procedures such as (but not limited to) dusting, vacuuming, sweeping, mopping, washing dishes, cleaning surfaces, emptying bins fridges and freezers, as indicated in the clients care plan
- Washing clothing including hanging out to dry, folding and ironing of clothes
- Changing of bed linen as required
- Assist the client with showering, bathing, eating, toileting, grooming and any personal care needs as identified in their Care Plan
- Assist the client with community access as identified on the clients care plan
- Assist the client with activities such as (not limited to), shopping, hair dressing, post office and entertainment activities
- Administer basic first aid as required
- Manual handling in line with LWB Policies and Procedures as required
Skills & Experience
- Certificate III in Individual Support (Aged Care/Home and Community Care) or similar - Essential
- A current unrestricted drivers licence and reliable vehicle - Essential
- A current First Aid and CPR Certificates, or willingness to obtain before commencement- Essential
- Experience working with clients that have dementia - Desirable
- A commitment to supporting and promoting the individual needs of clients
- The ability to develop positive relationships with the clients and to support their individual care plans as appropriate
- Have a mobile phone for work purposes
Successful candidates will be required to clear probity checks including National Criminal History Record Check and Working with Children Check (where relevant to the role).
- Salary packaging through Maxxia
- Excellent career development opportunities
- Permanent ongoing positions available
Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible as applications may be reviewed prior to the closing date; and as such the closing date is subject to change without notice. Current application closing date is the 24th November 2019.
Life Without Barriers supports the Royal Commission into violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation of people with disability. We believe people with disability need to be heard and for these experiences to influence how support services like ours are delivered. View our statement (https://bit.ly/2GzZGWA)
Advertised: 09 Nov 2019 E. Australia Standard Time
To view and apply for this job on the web visit: