Central Highlands Regional Council
CENTRAL HIGHLANDS REGIONAL COUNCIL
P OSITION DESCRIPTION
POSITION TITLE: Ranger
POSITION NUMBER: 10389 10391 10392 10393 10638
AWARD: Queensland Local Government Industry (Stream A) Award –
AWARD CLASSIFICATION: 3 - 4
REPORTS TO: Coordinator Ranger Services
A progressive region creating opportunities for all.
We are a council committed to continuous improvement, a sustainable future and efficient
investment in our communities.
- Respect and integrity.
- Accountability and transparency.
- Providing value.
- Commitment and teamwork.
OBJECTIVE OF THIS ROLE
The Ranger will be responsible for monitoring, and operating council's animal management
responsibilities whilst ensuring compliance and enforcement on a wide range of legislation and
Council’s Local Laws policies. Implementation of Councils Pest Management & Stock Route
Network Management Plan. Rangers also deliver on community education with a focus on
responsible pet ownership.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES IN THIS ROLE
1. Service delivery. As part of the ranger services team, assist the Coordinator Ranger
Services with the successful delivery of the full range of ranger services responsibilities in
accordance with established legislation, policies and procedures (including complying with
councils Customer Service Charter), while maintaining a strong customer focus.
2. Technical skills and expertise. Understand, interpret, administer and comply with
relevant legislation and Council policies applicable to the functions within a local
government ranger services unit (animal control, local laws, plant & animal pest and stock
3. Teamwork. Working collaboratively across the organisation, sharing knowledge and
experiences. Identification of potential opportunities for innovation and improving the
efficiency and effectiveness of Council’s operations.
4. Information delivery. Produce high standard reports, correspondence and advice to
internal and external clients relevant to disciplines within the unit.
5. Maintain pound facilities. Rangers are responsible for the day to day
maintenance/cleaning of the pound and cattery ensuring that all animals are fed, cages
cleaned, and facility is kept at a satisfactory standard in accordance with relevant codes of
Additionally, this position may be required to conduct other duties as lawfully directed by the
ABILITIES, SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
- Possess sound skills in the operation of Microsoft Office applications.
- Previous experience in a similar capacity; or similar role, including pest animal control, pest
investigating breaches, issuing fines & court appearances.
- Knowledge or experience in council’s rural services functions including maintenance and
QUALIFICATIONS, EDUCATION AND LICENCES REQUIRED
- Secondary education to year 12.
- Minimum of Queensland C class provisional drivers' licence.
- Must be willing to undertake training to become competent in relevant disciplines required
- Within 12 months of appointment, successfully undertake training for permits/approvals for,
- A Certificate IV in Government Investigations (Regulatory Compliance) or equivalent.
- Certificate in Animal Handling or equivalent experience in animal handling.
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
- Sound written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to deal with customers at all levels in a professional and courteous
- Ability to exercise sound judgement in relation to enforcement procedures and local laws
and other legislation.
- Basic knowledge of local government functions, various legislation including procedures for
local laws and policies and powers of entry.
CORPORATE REQUIREMENTS YOU MUST MEET
1. Commitment to council’s vision, mission and values.
2. Compliance with council’s code of conduct.
3. Adherence to all relevant council policies and procedures, certified agreement, your
contract of employment and relevant legislation, including the Local Government Act, 2009
and Work Health and Safety Act, 2011.
4. Commitment and adherence to council’s customer service charter.
5. Compliance with all relevant and necessary pre-employment checks required for this role.
6. Commitment to council’s corporate plan.
7. Commitment to equal employment opportunity, diversity and merit principles.
8. Commitment to ensuring a workplace free from bullying, harassment and discrimination.
9. Efficient and effective utilisation of resources as allocated under the level of responsibility
for the position.
10. Commitment to change management
ELIGIBILTY AND PRE-EMPLOYMENT CHECKS
To be appointed to a permanent position, you must be an Australian citizen, or have permanent
residency status, or a visa permitting you to work in Australia permanently. If you have a visa
permitting you to work temporarily in Australia, you may be appointed to a temporary or casual
positon, providing the work complies with the conditions of your visa.
The pre-employment checks relevant to this position include:
- Right to work in Australia.
- Medical and functional assessment including drug & alcohol testing.
- Criminal history check.
- Reference checks.
CORE COMPETENCIES WE NEED FROM YOU
Competency Definition Level
Delivering Results Having the ability to set objectives for yourself and others, taking
a forward looking perspective, and delivering successful 1
outcomes within agreed parameters.
Communication Identifying and using appropriate communication styles and
methods, taking into consideration the audience and the desired
outcome. Building and maintaining effective working
relationships with key stakeholders, both internal and external.
Initiative and Anticipating situations and problems, finding appropriate
innovation solutions, grasping opportunities for improvements and taking
ownership for continuous improvement that goes above and
beyond the call of duty.
Flexibility Being able to adapt your thinking and behaviour to suit different
situations and changing circumstances. Taking other people’s
views on board, accepting new and different ways of working
and encouraging others to embrace change.
Teamwork Having the ability to work as part of a team, actively encouraging
team working and recognising the role you play as part of the 1
Commitment to Being willing and able to align your own behaviours with the
Council objectives, goals and values of council; acting as a role model 1
and promoting the values to others.
Customer service Aligning your behaviour with council’s customer service charter
to ensure both internal and external customer needs are met;
taking a positive attitude, showing commitment and having a can
Workplace Health & Taking reasonable care for the health and safety of yourself and
Safety others, complying with reasonable instruction and co-operating 1
with council policy and procedure.
A copy of the Competency Handbook is available on the Central Highlands Regional Council
website under ‘Recruitment’ – ‘How to Apply’.
1. This is a description of the job as it is presently constituted. Council will regularly review
position descriptions and appropriately update them to ensure that they relate to the job
being performed, or to incorporate whatever changes are being proposed. Where
appropriate, employees will be consulted on the changes and employees are expected to
participate in consultation.
2. Whilst employment is in the position described in this document it is understood that
employment is with Central Highlands Regional Council. In the event of organisational
change or restructure, council may require employees to undertake other roles for which
they are qualified and capable of performing.
3. Employees may be required to undertake a variety of duties not related to their substantive
role in the times of disaster or significant exceptional operational circumstances.
4. All employees are responsible for making and keeping records in accordance with
legislation, information standards and other relevant guidelines and procedures.
5. Failure to maintain any licence or qualification, which are a condition of your employment,
may result in demotion or termination as council is unable to guarantee your transfer to a
position not requiring said licence/qualification.
Please sign below if you have read, understood and accepted the responsibilities of this
position as outlined in this position description.
To view and apply for this job on the web visit: